Tuesday, November 1, 2011

HFMD... what the???

Last Saturday after swimming, Steve noticed some blisters on my daughters hands. We immediately thought she had Chicken Pox! So we hurried along and took her to the walk in clinic to find out for sure. As we were on our way to the clinic I was searching online to see if the symptoms fits Chicken Pox. I'm glad to say it didn't. But something else came up,  Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). What?? Sounds horrible and scary.. and a disease?? my child has some sort of disease? That must be wrong.  I thought this only affects animals not children? Well I just found out that this is different from "Foot and Mouth Disease" that animals gets. Whew! Thank God! But never the less having some type of "disease" didn't really make me any calmer or less worried since she is only 3 years old and I am also 37 weeks pregnant and and can give birth anytime. So we ended up going to a walk in clinic, where we had to wait for 1.5 hours! Then when we were called in by the doctor and he did confirm what I thought she had, HFMD. He said that it is viral and that there is no medication for it. It should go away in a week. Shoot, but what about me? Should I worry that my baby might get infected or I might get it too? Doctor said it shouldn't be a problem with my baby, and that we all should just wash and sanitize all the time.

I feel so bad for my Samantha because she will be missing out on all the fun activities that we had in store for her for the weekend. She was looking forward to the birthday costume party and to go to Sunday school. She was also looking forward to go trick or treating. But we still made the most out of it and I think she still had a blast.

Here are some information about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD).

No comments:

Post a Comment