Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Heart Sank Today

My heart sank today as I heard that loud "THUD" on my friend's floor. Even without seeing who made that sound I knew it was my daughter as I heard a loud cry from her. My daughter fell from the rocking Lazy Boy chair head first! Oh no! I was in panic mode as I know that she is still in a very delicate age. I saw blood coming out from her nose and she was crying non-stop. What just happened? Did she get a concussion? Did she break her nose? Did she break her neck? What I did know was I need to get her to the hospital to get checked right away. But there was a problem, no one had a car. I called Steve to pick us up; he was 10 minutes away from where we were. As we were waiting for Steve, I'm glad that I was with my friend Mel so she can help me stay calm and focused. I had that sinking feeling inside me that what if Sam is hurt real bad that she might suffer from it permanently. I felt and still feel such a bad mommy for not foreseeing something like this when it was so obvious that it can happen. I also felt helpless when my daughter was crying her heart out. I know she got hurt and I know she was scared. I was scared too and was in the brink of tears but I tried to hold my tears and focus on my little girl who needs me.

When Steve got there we immediately went to Burnaby General Hospital. On our way there I was so afraid to let Samantha fall asleep in her car seat that I kept on talking to her. She seems to act normal but I didn't want to take the risk. We got admitted to the emergency room and waited for 1 1/2 hour to be seen by a doctor. I know it's a long wait for something that's serious but while we were in the waiting area I saw Samantha playing with her games on my I phone, playing peek a boo and just goofing around like her usual self. Her nose stopped bleeding a long time ago. And the only proof she got hurt was a small bruise on the tip of her nose and a bruise on her forehead. So at that point I was assured even more that she will be just fine. She was then checked by a nurse and 2 doctors and was then discharged soon after. The doctor gave me a pamphlet on what to look for in the next 24 hours just in case if there is something wrong. Thank God my baby will be fine!

As a mommy, I couldn't help but think of worst case scenario when something bad happens to my daughter. I love her so much that if anything happens to her I wouldn't be able to forgive myself for not protecting her. I know I cannot protect her from everything in this world. But as her mommy I know I have to try my best especially now when she needs me the most.

2 comments: