Saturday, April 3, 2010

Officially A Working Mom

April 1st was my first day back at work. And no, this is not a joke. As I prepare to go back to work, I made sure the night before I had my lunch ready, snacks in the bag, and COFFEE ready to brew first thing in the morning. I even picked the clothes I was to wear and I was keeping in mind the thought "Dress for Success".  It was a pair of twill pants from Dynamite and some nice top to match it from R.W. & Co that caught my eye. This was what I used to do 20 months ago before I have to work the next day. But something was different this time around. Not only do I have to prepare my goodies and clothes for the day but I have to prepare Samantha's too! 

The next day I woke up right before my alarm clock which was set for 6am. I don't know why I woke up early. Was I excited to go to work? Or maybe because I was just worried that I might not get to work in time being the time freak that I am. Everything was going smoothly, left the house in time got to Samantha's daycare in 5 minutes. I said my "I love you!” my "See yeah after nap time” and my "Mommy has to go work" spill before I kissed her.. Samantha made my heart melt when she started tugging my hand to stay with her and asking me not to go. But unfortunately this time around I was really going to work. (Ever since she started daycare part time I always tell her that I am going to work and never did she complain or cry)

As I got to my old office building, things felt a little different but somehow felt familiar. I found my cubicle and sat on my chair. It felt strange being there once again. I felt like a new employee but not. I met my new manager, met new co-workers and saw old friends. My mom was there too as we work in the same department (weird huh?). But it was great to see her there, someone whom I know and someone whom I am comfortable with. Whole day at work I was just trying to catch up and also trying to stay awake as I read through pages and pages of old and new information and changes within our company.

All I can say is that I survived my first day and that I am looking forward to learning and interacting again with different people. But it's not without a price; I will be missing spending the day with my Samantha. Making times spent together after work and on weekends more valuable and more precious. I am now officially a working mom, a new chapter in my life that for sure will have lots of challenges.

1 comment: