Saturday, December 3, 2011

Mark This on Your Calendar -- November 19, 2011 (Part 2)

Continuation...

At 4:00 pm, I was already experiencing some strong contractions that are lasting about 50 seconds 8 minutes apart so we decided to head to the hospital. This is it! Hopefully in a few hours I will see my baby. Yey!

We got to Richmond Hospital at 4:30pm and a nurse Dorothy, who is also an experienced Doula in Africa, examined how I was progressing. I was only 3-4 centimeters dilated. I thought it would be more than that as the pain was getting to the point that when contractions starts I can't barely speak. The nurse asked me to walk around, that lasted for about an hour. Then the contractions were getting stronger that I cannot walk anymore so I stayed in my room with Steve and the nurse (My nurses, Dorothy and "Auntie" Alice, were awesome by the way, they made me feel well taken care of and they seem to know what they are doing which gives me great relief). By this time Sam already went home with my parents to stay the night. One, two hours went by and I was just experiencing very intense contractions but without the urge to push yet. They did ask me in the beginning what type of pain relief I prefer and I told them that I do not want an epidural but prefer some pain medication and laughing gas. How brave huh? Well with Sam I didn't have to get an epidural because I didn't remember it being this painful! If only I knew I might have changed my mind. So they gave me laughing gas first and when the pain was unbearable they gave me Fentanyl. Fentanyl was a short acting pain med which means that it will only last for an hour. Poor me because that hour went by so fast and I didn't expect to be in labour for longer than that hour. I thought it would be faster as a lot of people would say that for your second time around the baby comes out faster. But not in this case. My baby was so comfortable in my tummy that the baby didn't want me to come out yet.

Finally at around 9:00 pm I was having the urge to push, I pushed and pushed and pushed. At that time on every push I was thinking that I better give it my all because I can't stand the pain anymore. Every time a contraction was coming I would cry like a baby and that lasted for almost 2 hours. I kept my eyes close the whole time to keep my strength. People were going in and out of the room, the OB, the Pediatrician, nurses and I had no idea who they were or how they looked like until the end. Baby's shoulder even got stuck. But at 10:44 pm, the baby was take out safely by Dr Jill and a baby boy was born! He weighed 8 lbs and 4 oz and was 52 centimeters long! Wow!!! What a huge baby. I was expecting a 7 pound baby but instead I gave birth to a big baby. A big, healthy and handsome little boy who we named Shawn Grayson Dy.

No comments:

Post a Comment